Unreached & Unengaged People Groups
The 10/40 window
The 10/40 Window is the rectangular area of North Africa, the Middle East and Asia approximately between 10 degrees north and 40 degrees north latitude. The 10/40 Window is often called „The Resistant Belt“ and includes the majority of the world’s Muslims, Hindus, and Buddhists. The original 10/40 Window included only countries with at least 50% of their land mass within 10 and 40 degrees north latitude. The revised 10/40 Window includes several additional countries, such as Indonesia, that are close to 10 or 40 degrees north latitude and have high concentrations of unreached peoples. See the original and revised country lists to the right. An estimated 4.95 billion individuals residing in approximately 8,633 distinct people groupsare in the revised 10/40 Window. The 10/40 Window is home to some of the largest unreached people groups in the world such as the Shaikh, Yadava, Turks, Moroccan Arabs, Pushtun, Jatand Burmese.
The 10/40 Window has several important considerations: first, the historical and Biblical significance; second, the least evangelized countries; third, the unreached people groups and cities; fourth, the dominance of three religious blocs; fifth, the preponderance of the poor; sixth, the strongholds of Satan within the 10/40 Window.
The 10/40 Window is located from 10 degrees south to 40 degrees north of the equator, which includes Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia.
- Nearly 4 billion people live here, including 90 percent of the world’s poorest of the poor. It is estimated that 1.6 billion of these people have never had the chance to hear the Gospel of Jesus Christ – not even once!
- The seat of every major non-Christian religion – Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Animism, Atheism, and Sikhism – is headquartered in the 10/40 Window.
- In many of the 69 countries represented in the 10/40 Window, witnessing the Christian Gospel means death. Truly, the 10/40 Window remains the darkest and most inhospitable territory to the cause of Christ and represents the greatest remaining stronghold of Satan.
- Two-thirds of the world’s population (4 billion) live in the 69 nations of the 10/40 Window.
- 95% of the people are unevangelized.
- 90% of the people are the poorest of the poor, averaging $250 per family annually.
- 43 of the 50 worst countries in the world for persecution of Christians are here.
- Only five pennies out of every $100 spent on missions goes to this desperately needy area of the world.
- Illiteracy is widespread.
- Terrorist organizations and child prostitution run rampant in many of these nations.
- Horrific abuse of women and children remains unchecked.
- Children as young as 18 months old are trained to be Jihad soldiers.